Monday 20 February 2012

Richard Long

I like the images above and below because they look somewhat eerie, they have been made by a person and they allow the viewer to see the human presence within the piece. They are a similar format to the 'tea stain' mark and have similar qualities such as the circle shape and the fact that a human can only create these marks.

I visited Berlin last year with the university and we visited a gallery with Richard Longs work in it, i like how he uses the 'circle' format within his pieces. I have always been fascinated by the idea of the circling action, that is also a mark only humans can make and I asked myself why do we circle things, similar to what I was looking into with my previous project, the idea of circling is to pin point something, to draw your attention to something. For me the circle withing Richard Longs work represents someone being there. Richard Long uses pieces of the environment to build up his work such as mud, stones, wood etc. This makes his artwork somewhat ephemeral. Which is what I think the 'tea stain' is to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment