Monday 20 February 2012


Tina Modotti

I Like the simplicity of the photographs yet the intensity of the thin wires running through the photograph. In my eyes i began to think of this piece again as a metaphor for human presence, everyone uses telephone wires signify human communication. They represent people interacting over the phone. I imagine when I see this piece a audio piece to support it, all different conversations happening overlapping each other so it sounds almost like white noise and you can hear different pitches of voices different tones all blending together to represent human presence.

“And speaking of my ‘personal self’: I cannot – as you once proposed to me ‘solve the problem of life by losing myself in the problem of art’ – Not only I cannot do that but I even feel that the problem of life hinders my problem of art.

Now what is this ‘my problem of life’? It is chiefly: an effort to detach myself from life so as to be able to devote myself completely to art -

And here I know exactly that you will answer: ‘Art cannot exist without life’ – Yes – I admit but there should be an even balance of both elements while in my case life is always struggling to predominate and art naturally suffers -

By art I mean the creation of any sort – You might say to me that since the element of life is stronger in me than the element of art I should just resign to it and make the best of it – But I cannot accept life as it is – it is too chaotic – too unconscious – therefore my resistance to it – my combat with it. I am forever struggling to mould life according to my temperament and needs – in other words I put too much art in my life – too much energy – and consequently I have not much left to give to art – ”

Tina Modotti, July 1925







No comments:

Post a Comment